Thursday, April 3, 2008

Unrequited



My life has been populated by many incidents of the unrequited. I had a habit of falling for the wrong guys, sometimes they already had girlfriends (or boyfriends), were emotionally unavailable, or maybe they didn't even know I existed! I was a real gluten for punishment and was completely indulgent in my misery. I was single for most of my twenties, so at a time when most of my friends were partnering off, I was the honorary third wheel. I was in a state perpetual pining and  self-induced emotional torture.

The only things which could distract me from my woe, were beer and dancing (and often the beer worked against me.) One night in Lancaster, as my friends and I walked home from a club, I was overcome with the urge to lay down in the middle of the street, and I did. My pals found it totally hilarious, but I was dead serious. I was overcome by the dire condition of my romantic life and it seemed like the only thing to do. It was late and there wasn't any traffic, so the gesture was mostly symbolic.

As I performed this instruction I was absolutely unnerved! I realized I no longer have the bravado of a twenty year old. I've also found love, so the sting of the unrequited is only a distant memory. 

No comments: