Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Hugs




My family was not very affectionate. My sisters and I were often instructed to give goodbye or goodnight kisses to family members; it was always a rote action without reciprocation. We didn't hug.

My first dose of the hug came while I was attending school at Antonelli in York, Pa (the program was weak, but the people were great!) It's where I met Janeen (Neen). She was the most social person I ever met! She didn't have my inhibitions, she could talk to anyone and hugged at whim. She was positive and hopeful and giving. As an adolescent, I always made friends with girls who were cruel and domineering. I was convinced that people didn't like me. When Neen and I became pals, I thought that others only liked me because of her. As time wore on, I realized that I could make friends and that hugs felt so good. Soon after, I started hugging my mother and that practice has persisted since.

I'm still sometimes awkward in social situations, but I love a good hug!! Tonight I had hugs with some amazing people I've met during my time in TN.  I am grateful to be forever imprinted with their energy.


No comments: