Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Together



This instruction is dedicated to my dear friend Lea Feinstein. I met Lea in my first performance class at TU. I whispered that I liked her lucite doll hand earrings, and in the next moment, she took them from her ears and put them in mine. When my family didn't materialize for my graduate thesis exhibit, Lea stepped in and hosted an impromptu graduation celebration for me. I was touched by her generosity and support. The year after grad school was rough, but I was eased by the weekly dinners at Lea's home. Every Wednesday, Jessica, Jennie and I met to share dinner and conversation in her cozy home. Those evenings were safe and nurturing and provided a sense of community I had never previously experienced. Lea taught me so much about growing and she has been an important mentor in my life as an artist and teacher. 

Tonight I hosted a dinner for Erin, Jacqueline and Sarah. All three were formerly my students at MTSU. We ate chili and talked about art and life. I will miss them when I leave TN, but know
we will always be close friends. 

No comments: