Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Grow



I've been teaching art for over ten years now and I always encourage my students to have new experiences; to keep growing. I've learned from my own practice that art can't happen in a void. I look at the work of other artists, but I'm also deeply inspired by feminist theory, literary criticism, film, and fashion. 

While I am a big proponent of personal growth, I often neglect to give myself time to take in new things.  In an effort to refuel my creative juices, I spent the day watching movies (it's something I've always wanted to do!) I watched The Silence by Ingmar Bergman, Lucebert: Time and Farewell by Jihan van der Keuken, Juliet of the Spirits by Frederico Fellini, and Werckmeister Harmonies by Bela Tarr. I don't know when I'll have another chance to devote an entire day to movies, but I'm going to make a concerted effort to watch at least one film a week in the future.

1 comment:

the hanged man said...

So..what did you think of the movies? I've only seen the Fellini and the Tarr films. I love Fellini's wife, but thought "Juliet" was only okay. I'm very impressed by Tarr's "Harmonies."

Is this series over?