Saturday, July 26, 2008

Voice



All of my sisters and I suffered from extreme shyness and for the first twenty years of my life I was nearly mute in public. Making art was my favored language and I spent hours alone making drawings. I loved learning and going to school, but dreaded being called on in class. I didn't start to get beyond my shyness until I was a junior in college when I took a class on art and aesthetics. That course is where I found the nerve to raise my hand and voice my ideas and opinions. My act of bravery was precipitated by the over inflated egos of my male classmates and their often sexist commentaries. It was deeply liberating to finally be able to speak!

It took many years for me to overcome my self-consciousness in social situations. Teaching has helped me to resolve some of my distress as I become more confident and strong in my voice through guiding my students to their own footing. I still lack the ability to "work a room" and I'll never be an extrovert, but I am articulate and have a distinct voice that I want to share with the world.

No comments: